The Neighbors of a bachelor-pad.

An integral part of our lives, Neighbors. Near or distant but you surely have some neighbors. Usually they are good people, ready to help, considerate about your well being, sometimes annoying but mostly good. But the most amazing are the ones who live around bachelor-pads. If you never have lived as a bachelor i must say you have missed some real fun. I lived in bachelor-pads for 7 good years and around different localities. What fun it was to observe the neighborhood, specially you know the areas where most of the buildings decided to go with the board of “Bachelors not allowed”. The vendors would love you while the aunties and uncles would stare the life out of you. The cooks and maids will prefer you over the families while the society chairman will block you from the functions.

Well, coming back to the neighbors of bachelor-pads, worry not, if you have not been around those types, as i have taken the trouble to make a list of all the types of neighbors that you may often find around a bachelor-pad.

1. Taunting aunties – I feel these are the aunties who are mostly jealous of you, because you are having the liberty which they can’t. Be it bachelor boys or girls, you can hear them putting out a loud taunt while chatting with their next door padosan just when they spot you.
  2. The sanskari neighbors – These are honestly the bachelor haters. They would literally list down all the things that you would be doing throughout your day and would be able to tag at least 100 non-sansakri things out of it. Like – you sleeping late and waking up late on weekends, you always having an ear-piece on, you playing music in your home, you going out in short clothes , you having a drink with your friends in your home, you having your friends stay over night, you being friendly with the grocery vendor, like literally everything.
  3. Boys and girls can never be friends – Believe me, these are the best ones to tease. The sight of a boy and girl together, i suppose they would prefer their eyes gouged. Can you believe i have heard from my friends that they were sent notices the next day they had a party at their place along with their lady friends. Just imagine the hate. A male friend staying over at a girls flat or a lady friend staying over at an all boys flat, what hell god will bring upon the humanity. 🙂 I suppose these are the ones behind this blocking of bachelors from the societies.
  4. The over friendly neighbors – Who doesn’t like to be cared, like the feeling of having your parents around. Ha ha, not the bachelors, what’s the point of living in a bachelor-pad then. These types of neighbors are the ones who would never forget your leaving and arriving time, just to be there to have a chit chat with you. The insistence of having a cup of tea, going out to the grocery shopping together, dinner at my place invitations, they would literally suffocate you with their over friendliness. Me time for them is a symptom of some mental disease.
  5. The bachelor neighbors – The best ones till now what all i have experienced. And if they are the boys then you must have done some good deeds in your past life. Boys couldn’t care less of what’s happening around. No offense, but boys would literally not notice even if you snatch the bed beneath them. One of my cook who also used to cook for boys living in my neighboring flat would smuggle a lot of things from their kitchen whenever there was shortage in our kitchen. Also boys are the kindest and most humble species specially around girls and that is true not just for Indians but English too. While living in Manchester, when our internet connection was interrupted, my flat-mate went to the next door to check if we can use their connection and pay them until the time we get our back, the English boys we never met didn’t need any convincing. She asked and they gave it to her and that too for free. So ladies and gentlemen, lesson learnt?? If you are planning to live in a bachelor-pad, you know what is the best neighborhood.

This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’ hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla and sponsored by Queen’s Brigade.

17 thoughts on “The Neighbors of a bachelor-pad.

• July 29, 2021 at 1:12 pm

I think we cannot really generalize anywhere. There are spoilt brats and there are good kids too. girls and boys. So, it is just probably our luck which ones we encounter. Hahaha!

• July 30, 2021 at 7:37 am

Your post reminded me of the time when I stayed alone in Mumbai for work. My masi’s son, my cousin brother would occasionally visit me, my neighbour would always give me that ajeeb sa look..hahaha

• July 30, 2021 at 9:32 am

It’s true there’s huge prejudice against bachelors in apartment blocks. Men and women freely mixing does not sit well with them. But it’s also true that some bachelors do the very thing they’re accused of – making a racket, not following rules, harassing neighbours. One rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.

• August 1, 2021 at 4:32 pm

Took me back to my college days. Even I spent 5 odd years with a couple of bachelor friends. And that is indeed an experience.

• July 30, 2021 at 9:35 am

Hahahaha! Nice post! Every place is unique because of people’s natures and characters that add spice to situations.

• July 30, 2021 at 9:36 am

Hahahaha! Nice post! Every place is unique because of people’s natures and characters that add spice to situations – lovely post!

• July 31, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Cool post indeed! Yes, you can find all types of boring neighbours around. All these are true not only for bachelors, but for single parent as well. Though there are some spoilt brats too. As they stay out of their family, they think that it’s their right to do all mischievous things like playing loud music, arranging late night parties and bothering neighbours etc.

• July 31, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Ha ha. I have never lived alone or with friends. But I do have a lot of kids staying around in the apartment that we live in because there is a college closeby and our complex is always in demand because of the amenities that they can get for a steal if they split the rent amongst themselves. Most of us dont bother them, exceptions being continuous disturbances or drunken brawls. Most of them are sweet and keep to themselves and are friendly to others.

• August 1, 2021 at 2:52 am

Haha lovely post! The nosy aunties are the type which not just the bachelor’s but even us working married women have to face. Your list is hilarious and I could imagine the fun you must have had encountering so many different people in your life and the memories you must have made.

• August 1, 2021 at 5:40 am

Hahahaha, amazing post, I know few of these types of aunties and uncles who like to comment and interfere in each and everything, ‘aiyo, that girl came in night with her boyfriend’, matlab girl hai aur kisi ke sath aai to boyfriend hi hoga and boyfriend hai bhi toh?? biggg deal😡😡, and I fee like why to judge anyone. But what to do so many people are around like them and we can’t argue everytime.

• August 1, 2021 at 10:17 am

Your post made me laugh as I could find one of each category neighbour around me. Especially aunties who just don’t want to mind their own business.

• August 1, 2021 at 10:29 am

Another amusing read, Akanksha. Chummeries and particularly bachelor chummeries always have this love-hate relationship with the neighbors. Particularly the nosy aunties.

• August 1, 2021 at 11:05 am

Your post reminded my my college days when I got internet free from my neighbourhood for free in Scotland as I was new and don’t have connection. However we cannot generalise the statement for all neighbours as all bachelors are not good and can create chaos for the families living around.

• August 1, 2021 at 11:11 am

Ha ha. I am an aunty but I am not the kind who pokes her nose. Live and let live. Most bachelors are decent boys. It is when they create a nuisance that action needs to be taken.

• August 1, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Your post reminded me of my PG days. There are a variety of neighbours you can find In India. I also remember when had our own flat, our society put a ban on bachelor tenant.

• August 5, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Well I’ll be honest, I haven’t really lived alone in an apartment complex except for when I was in London, and there I mostly kept to myself. But your post reminded me of a recent show I saw on Zee5 called Sunflower – they’ve captured this issue quite well.