I guess with the title, you may have guessed what i am going to talk about in this post.
Let me start with – Herpetophobia, the condition that many of us suffer these days including me. Herpetophobia, a fear of Lizards and snakes. Why snakes i wonder, they barely exist. But lizards, the fear of them is global from where i see and damn; by the speed they are growing in numbers i think one day they will be able to outcast us humans.
Anyways my fear of lizards is not by birth. Just like my son i used to love the sight of a crawling object on the walls and a fight of two of them would make me feel like romans in those tv shows who roared on a deadly strike.
So how did it happen, i guess i was around 10 or 12 and was watching a fight of two lizards just on the roof above my head while tucked up in my bed. yeah, imagine that, but i had so much belief in them for not falling down. My faith was broken when one of them fell just on my neck. My mom did this thing of sprinkling of some gold touched water. But that couldn’t wash away the fear that fall instilled into me and since then there have been several adventurous incidents.
That changed me so, that i could watch two men killing each other but a visual of two lizard holding each other’s mouth was sending chills to my spine. and every encounter since then has been scary, memorable and worth sharing.
Putting a whole hand on to a lizard while climbing up on the backyard tree, crushing one in between the bathroom door accidently, waking up mom in the middle of the night to check if there is any lizard in the bathroom, were a few from the countless ones i had while living at my parent’s. The only relief was the time when we had cats for pet, they used to hunt down the lizards and thus the lizards were alway hidden.
When i moved out to west side of the country for job, the issue resolved for good. The buildings were closed and high for lizards, the offices were anyway clean and packed. So it was certainly a relieving few years of life.
And then i decided to move back to the city again to my in-laws. As if the dreaded creatures were waiting for the opportunity. I didn’t know like men, lizards also improve themselves. Now not only the walls and roofs they extended their reach to the floors as well and curtains and under the gas stove oh my god i stopped putting a foot in my own home without a slipper. Big ones, small ones, black ones, white ones all over the place. My fear made my husband to literally ask the servants to kill the lizards wherever and whenever be seen. But we used to live in a green space so there was no stopping of the new ones.
Well, That’s when i decided to fight back.
and the first thing that i did was to
draw a boundary between the habitats.
Like a few areas that needs to be private for each of us – like i would not budge about roofs and store rooms or outdoors. and likewise she should be off limits to the floors, bathrooms, beds, cupboards and kitchen, or otherwise there will be consequences.
Clearly, the only person living by the word was me and that’s when with no option to be left i decided to fight back.
Yes, i googled ” how to get rid of lizards” and missed no link.
Here are some of the things that i tried to get rid of them –
- put an empty egg shell. ( no use)
- make a concoction of garlic water + coffee + black pepper and spray it around the areas where lizard comes. ( the whole house started to stink)
- Put a peacock feather. ( Found one hiding behind it.)
- Put a cockroach spray and it will die. ( i once put on one in my bathroom, she went blind and jumped over me, i screamed so hard that my 95 year old dadi in law ran to save my life).
- I came across a pack of tiny squares in a grocery store labelled as “Lizard repellent”. ( of no use)
And google is out of ideas now. So now we have set one sided new rules-
- The areas that can be kept closed, should be. ( like we keep our kitchen closed all the time except when we use it, so far so good)
- Don’t be troubled or trouble them as much as possible. (like if she can hide behind the gyeser in the bathroom when i enter, we are all good)
- And lastly kill, if you have the heart. ( thankfully that she doesn’t understands it but yes, as of now the mighty slayer is only the husband and have killed a good 5-6 of them)
But thankfully we are in peace with our current living arrangements and i am so excited to see when my little one will stop being so amazed with a lizard falling down and trying to touch them like it’s a butterfly.