Fourth in the series of eight posts on “Productivity tips for mom-bloggers”, this one is going to be about setting up your priorities depending upon your end goals. This is the major step of the plan targeting “Productivity tips for social media”. In this post I will be helping you out to answer the first few questions that come to your mind when you decide to start.
1. What social media platform is good for me?
2. Do I need to be present at every platform?
3. Which one shall I prioritize more?
4. Why do you need to prioritize?
While I try to make this article short and crisp for you, you might argue, “why do I need to prioritize? Can’t I just plan and do things?” The answer is “Yes”; you can very well plan and do everything. But having a prioritized plan is much better. Here are some reasons to justify why you should always have a prioritized plan:-
1. Knowing where to start makes you win half of the battle.
2. Having a prioritized plan helps better to deal in emergencies.
3. It helps in organizing your day much better.
4. Setting up a prioritized plan, improves productivity.
5. It can help you balance everything (home, work, baby, blogging) without any stress.
When you have sufficient time, you can explore and experiment with as many things as you can. But with limited resources, the plan has to be precise and the result needs to be what you wanted. And as a mom-blogger you actually don’t know what next that you need to deal with is. It can be over-whelming and tiring. So here are a few things that, I suggest you to figure out first which might help you prepare the plan better.
Figure out your life priorities
This topic is often missed in most common productivity tips for social media, but in case of mom-bloggers we can’t take a chance to skip this. Social media is a great platform but there is always a real life behind the Instagram perfect photos, wisely written articles and technically designed pins. You have a family or children to look after; they need your same attention as much as your work. This applies to everyone irrespective of gender or to any member of the family. So make rules in regards of such situations to maintain to healthy work life experience. To give you an example, I am sharing some rules that I made for myself:-
1. I strictly avoid work when my son is awake also I avoid using cell phone around him.
2. 95% of the times I prefer written communications.
3. In case of emergencies, I use pen and paper to plan out the next blog/post.
4. When with the family no thinking of work, it also helps me stay sane and give 100% to the content I create.
Prioritize your end goal
You might love writing or reading, you might love cooking and baking. But what is your end goal. Sharing your recipes online and getting the love and appreciation is definitely great. But after some time this will all be monotonous to you, without any clue of where you are going. So set up an end goal for yourself, which can be:-
1. Writing a book.
2. Having a business
3. Opening a café.
4. Or simply monetizing your blog/page.
It can be very much possible that you don’t know yet, in this case just start sharing what you enjoy doing. Prioritize your end goal. See what you are good at or what you enjoy sharing with your followers. What is that which your followers respond to more? You will eventually figure out.
Once you know your goal, alter your social media presence or plan ahead accordingly.
Prioritize your social media
Every social media platform is tailor-made for some particular set of users and benefit in different ways. For e.g. YouTube is for video creators, while Instagram is more of pictures. Depending on your end goal you need to choose the right platform for your need. It’s true that you need to be present everywhere for more traffic and more reach. But the focus should be more on one that satisfies your need and motive. Also many platforms are interlinked nowadays and offer to share same content in several platforms in a single click.
How to choose the right social media platform?
I am sharing some commonly used social media platforms with their specific reach, which might help you in figuring out the one for you.
- YouTube – Best for video creators of any niche.
- Instagram – Best for photo creators of any niche.
- Blogs – for writers of any niche
- Facebook – mainly for small business and start-ups
- Twitter – Prefer to connect with like-minded people
- Tik-Tok – Solely for Video creators
- LinkedIn – For jobs and businesses
- Pinterest – Best for bring traffic to your blog/page.
- Medium – Best for writers
Talking about me, Apart from being a social media influencer, I do content writing (paid gigs). So I use Instagram, Blog, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Medium and LinkedIn. While having my focus mainly on Instagram and Blog, and using the others to bring more traffic and paid gigs for myself.
Prioritize your tasks
Once you are settled in with the right platform for you or even in case if you have decided to go all out on every platform the end deal comes to dealing with the most difficult thing. I.e. managing your day to day tasks. If not for anything above, I strongly suggest prioritizing your everyday tasks. Take my word; this is going to help you in ways that you cannot imagine.
Giving you my example, in a day I have to do many things which might include-
- Shooting video/pictures for a brand.
- Content writing for a website
- Sharing content on social media
- Preparing a write-up for my blog
- Writing a caption for the new post.
- Prepare a pin for Pinterest
That’s an overwhelming list to finish and that too with all the rules that I set up for myself. What helps me is numbering them against their priorities every night for the next day.
- Shooting video/pictures for a brand. —– 5
- Content writing for a website —– 1
- Sharing content on social media —– 2
- Preparing a write-up for my blog —– 6
- Writing a caption for the new post. —– 3
- Prepare a pin for Pinterest —– 4
The factors I choose to prioritize them:-
1. Which one is most urgent? (It needs to have first priority.)
2. The time a particular task will take, less or more. ( If takes less time, it can done in night time or in between when the baby is at self-play)
3. Which one can be done while the baby is awake and which one when baby is asleep?
4. Which needs more concentration? (can only be done during nap time)
5. Which one has lenient deadline and which one has strict? (can have on least priority if have lenient deadline)
6. Can I share the same content at multiple platforms? (goes up on priority)
Apart from numbering the tasks as per the priority, I have started segregating them in morning/afternoon/evening tasks. Helps a lot, and spares me some me time too.
So ladies, that’s all for this post. Stay tuned while I share and talk about investments on social media.
Thanks for reading, much love.
Written for Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.