Since the evolution of technology, internet has been considered as the biggest boon to people. It made our lives easy in so many ways that can’t be counted on fingers. Then came the social media and blew away the minds of every human, with the ease of connectivity from within the comforts of your home, consuming information and being able to put out your opinion publicly hidden behind a digital identity gave so much of freedom, getting connected to your long lost friend through social networking sites are just a few perks of social media.Despite having so many perks, the dispute about if social media is toxic or safe, is a never ending debate and there are multiple articles out there on the internet which talk about the pros and cons of social media and yet there is no concurrence on it. For some individuals it is a source of inspiration and sometimes income and for some it’s a sheer waste of time that only consumes your data. Like any other technology it won’t be wrong to say that at the end it is what you make out of it and how you use it. But in case if you are still unable to decide whether it is good for you or not, here I have summed down 10 signs that if you are experiencing you should immediately quit social media.Please checkout another interesting article on social media being a boon or a curse by my dear friend Surbhi Prapanna.
- You go to a particular application on your phone with a purpose; say looking for a certain person or certain news but get engrossed to whatever you see on your screen first and keep scrolling through the app forgetting all about why you have started at first place.
- You searched and read about one particular topic that once interested you, but since now the AI of the application knows about your search, it keeps recommending a new article or a new update on that topic to you and now you are unable to stop yourself from checking it out one more time. This turns into a vicious loop and it really takes effort to keep you out of it.
- At the end of the day you realize that you were only scrolling through applications and checking out others aimlessly throughout the day and haven’t have learned anything that is going to benefit you.
- You are easily getting influenced by the news or information that has been shared with you over the various networks. Consecutively without even verifying it and knowing the origin of the information you share it with your friends and family members as well.
- You keep delaying the other important real world stuff because you are too hooked to the social media reading the news that you already know.
- With such tremendous amount of information available on a particular news piece or a controversial topic over so many mediums you can’t decide what is wrong and what is right, without realizing the personal agendas of participating parties.
- The hidden digital identity is turning you into a bully. In the name of giving your honest feedback or to put out your honest opinion on someone’s thought or pictures you are unknowingly trolling and pulling that person down.
- Negativity on social media impacts you in your real world life too. You can’t stop thinking about sad news that you read about on a news portal, a tragic picture you saw on twitter or a troll comment on the picture you shared. You seek validation on your shared thoughts or pictures with the amount of likes and comments from strangers. Somehow all this information is looming in your head and eventually impacting your physical world too.
- You are getting inspired by the flashy lifestyle and beautifully edited pictures that have been shared by your favourites over the social media apps and crib about your appearances or your clothes.
- You are acting different on digital world to what you are in real life. The traits and personality you show over the social media apps is not what you really are in personal life, again you pretend to be what you think others will be able to like more.
Evaluate yourself up on the above pointers and see if you are falling prey to any of these signs,you should quit social media immediately and go for a digital detox from the platforms you are hooked to further re-evaluating your priorities in real world first.Really loved this artice about the validity of kind of posts we often read on instagram.
Also read my article about my 100 days experience of Instagram and in case you are planning to use social media for all of its pros, here is an article that may help you find you pace in blogging in 2020.